FIRST is our original co-produced, resilience, group work programme specifically targeted at improving the mental wellbeing of at risk young people. It is the only early intervention, positive education programme integrating coaching psychology and positive psychology developed with and for vulnerable young people in the UK. The programme has been evidenced to increase self-regulation, confidence, comunication skills, resilience capabilities and wellbeing.
As well as delivering FIRST directly to local young people, the FIRST programme is avaliable as a Licence training and support package and is delivered nationally by partner organisations, charities and social enterprises.
Who it’s for
- Young people aged 13-17. This programme has been developed with the young people themselves.
- FIRST is an interactive positive education group programme that uses positive psychology and evidence based coaching techniques to support vulnerable young people; through helping them develop positive coping strategies.
- The programme also aims to help young people manage areas such as self harm, depression, low self esteem, stress, anxiety and negative thinking.
- Extensive monitoring and evaluation with analyisis and reporting to evidence the effectivness of the intervention.
Benefits of the Programme
The young people that attend the groups gain:
- improved perception of themselves and of others
- improved self-awareness
- develop the ability to use positive thinking skills
- improved communication skills
- skills to maintain more positive relationships
- improved wellbeing
Overall, these skills reduce symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression and prevent the onset of mental health problems.
So far, our FIRST programmes have been a huge success in helping ‘at risk’ vulnerable young people build resilience and improve wellbeing. One of the huge benefits of our FIRST programme is that it has proven to decrease levels of stress, depression and anxiety to below clinical levels. This programme has been funded by Children In Need, Big Lottery, local authorities and Clinical Commissioning Groups (GGC’s). FIRST has been developed into a licenced programme that health, local authority, community and youth organisations deliver to provide effective early prevention for young people.
After collaboration with young people we have run our FIRST programme over an extended period; collaborating with other approaches including Forest Schools and Sport Development sessions in partnership with local authorities and Sport England.