Resilience FIRST is our original co-produced targeted group work programme specifically targeted at improving the mental wellbeing of young people. It is the only positive education programme integrating coaching psychology and positive psychology developed with vulnerable young people in the UK.
Who it’s for
- Young people aged 13-17. This programme has been developed with the young people themselves.
- Resilience FIRST is an interactive positive education group programme that uses positive psychology and evidence based coaching techniques to support vulnerable young people; through helping them develop positive coping strategies.
- The programme also aims to help young people manage areas such as self harm, depression, low self esteem, stress, anxiety and negative thinking.
Benefits of the Programme
The young people that attend the groups gain:
- improved perception of themselves and of others
- improved self-awareness
- develop the ability to use positive thinking skills
- improved communication skills
- skills to maintain more positive relationships
Overall, these skills reduce symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression and prevent the onset of mental health problems.
So far, our FIRST programmes have been a huge success in helping ‘at risk’ vulnerable young people build resilience. One of the huge benefits of our FIRST programme is that it has proven to decrease levels of stress, depression and anxiety to below clinical levels. This programme has been funded by Children In Need, local authorities and Clinical Commissioning Groups (GGC’s). Resilience FIRST has been developed into a licenced programme that health, local authority, community and youth organisations deliver to provide effective early prevention for young people.
After collaboration with young people we have run our FIRST programme over an extended period; tying it to other approaches including Forest schools and Sport development sessions.